A:Hi, Ken.
嗨,肯。
B:Hi, Lily. What are you so upset about?
嗨,莉莉。你为什么事这么生气?
A:I'm furious with Jenny! She's always late.
珍尼快气死我了!她总是迟到。
B:Always? Why don't you talk it over with her? Encourage her to be on time, or tell her how much it annoys you?
总是?你为什么不和她好好谈一谈,鼓励她准时一点,或者告诉她你对这件事很恼火呢?
A:Look! I've talked till I'm blue in the face. It's out of the question.
告诉你,我已经费尽口舌,却毫无成效。要说服她真的是不可能的。
B:There must be something you can do.
你一定会有办法的。
A:I doubt it. Last night we went to a concert. Do you know what time we got there? Just in time to go out for the intermission! We missed half of the show!
我很怀疑这一点,昨晚我们去听音乐会。你知道我们什么时候到的吗?正好赶上中间的休息时间,我们误了一半!
B:I guess you're just wasting your breath then. Time means nothing to Jenny.
那我想你确实是徒劳了。时间对珍尼来说是没有用的。
A:You're right. I guess I should just stop doing things with her.
是啊。我想我以后不跟她交往了。
B:You don't have to go that far. Just don't waste your time waiting for her.
你倒没必要那么过分。只要别再浪费时间等她就行了。
A:I guess you're right. I could just tell her to meet me at the restaurant or movie.
我想你说得对。那我就让她在饭馆或是电影院等我。
B:Right. Then if she's late, you know, it's her problem not yours.
对。那样的话,她若迟到就是她的问题而与你无关。
A:Thanks for your advice! I appreciate it!
谢谢你的建议。非常感谢!